Spanish Immersion Enrollment Process
Para leer esta página en español, por favor haga clic en el botón "TRANSLATE" en la parte superior de la página web.Enrollment Information for Spanish ImmersionAll incoming Kindergarten students who are residents of the Menlo Park City School District are invited to apply to participate in the Spanish Immersion program. K-5 Spanish Immersion is offered at both Laurel and Encinal schools. There is no Spanish fluency requirement for incoming Kindergartners.Although openings for new immersion students generally exist at the Kindergarten level, due to attrition, applicants to grades beyond Kindergarten will be considered when space is available to students who meet the academic proficiency and the appropriate social/emotional level required by the grade to which they are applying.The District is currently piloting a program which allows a small number of English Only students entry into the 4th and 5th grade Immersion classrooms. If space is available, we plan to continue this practice of offering the immersion opportunity to students who expressed an interest in learning a second language but did not get a spot in immersion in the primary grades, on a case by case basis.Qualified District students who reside outside the Laurel or Encinal attendance boundaries may apply for an Intradistrict transfer to Laurel or Encinal. Once transfer is approved, all interested students will be given equal consideration.Where applications exceed space available, admission is determined by lottery.
Steps for Kindergarten Immersion Enrollment for Fall 2018 AdmissionIn order for your child to be considered for Spanish Immersion, you must attend a Mandatory Spanish Immersion meeting and complete registration during the Priority Registration process which ends on February 28. Failure to do so will result in your child being placed on the site's Spanish Immersion wait-list.
1. Attend a Mandatory Spanish Immersion Information MeetingAttend one of the following meetings:
2. Registration ProcessComplete the District’s registration process via SchoolMint for all new students by February 28, 2018. Click here for information on this process.Questions regarding enrollmentPlease contact the District Registrar at (650) 321-7140 Ext. 5600
- Thursday, January 25, 2018, 5:00 - 6:00 p.m., Laurel School
- Thursday, January 25, 2018, 6:30 - 7:30 p.m., Encinal School
- Monday, February 12, 2018, 9:00 - 10:00 a.m., District Office TERC
- Monday, February 26, 2018, 7:00 - 8:00 p.m., District Office TERC