Spanish Immersion Program
Want your child to be bilingual? Enroll in MPCSD's Spanish Immersion Program!Program StructureSpanish Immersion is currently offered K-5 at Laurel and Encinal. Kindergarten immersion students receive their core academic instruction in Spanish, and as students move through the grades, there are incremental increases in the instructional time in English such that by the fifth grade, core academic instruction is delivered in both English and Spanish equally. The program began as a pilot in 2008; depending on site and District needs, other models for foreign language acquisition at the elementary level may be considered in the future. Click here for more background information on World Language in MPCSD.Program GoalThe goal of the Spanish Immersion Program is to create bilingual and bi-literate students by the end of fifth grade. Children enter the program with many different levels of Spanish fluency. Some children are native Spanish speakers, others have had exposure to Spanish in preschool or with a parent or nanny, and many have had very little or no exposure to Spanish when they begin the program. The native Spanish speakers benefit from learning to read and write in Spanish, deepening their Spanish speaking skills and being class leaders as they help their fellow classmates learn Spanish. The non-native Spanish speakers benefit from becoming fluent in Spanish at the same time as receiving all of the standard curricula. In fact, by the end of fifth grade, the goal is that immersion students will be performing at grade level in both languages--ConsiderationsFamilies who choose to enroll their children in the immersion program should know the following:
For more information or if you have questions, please contact theLaurel or Encinal Office Manager.
- The sites are committed to operating the immersion program in a manner that avoids any financial encroachment over the K-5 life of the program. As a result, immersion class sizes may be larger than regular classes and may be operated as multi-graded combination classes.
- Support services for students may only be available in English.
- Immersion may not be the optimal learning environment for every student.
- The current structure of immersion may make it difficult to separate twins or students with peer issues.
- This program could be altered or relocated depending on site or program needs.
Spanish Immersion at Encinal
Encinal Elementary School offers up to two strands of Kindergarten - 5th grade Spanish Immersion.
Spanish Immersion at Laurel
Laurel Elementary School offers two strands of Kindergarten - 5th grade Spanish Immersion.