Laurel School Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) is a volunteer organization that works to promote and support the education and welfare of the Laurel School students, kindergarten through fifth grade, by:
- Further strengthening our students' learning environment by providing enrichment programs that support general curriculum requirements, as well as social and grade-level activities.
- Volunteering time in classrooms and on campus to aid teachers and staff and to support students' academic opportunities.
- Celebrating the Laurel community, campus and curriculum with activities that are inclusive and honor the spirit of Laurel School.
When you become a PTO member, you become a part of a Laurel family, a committed group of teachers, staff and parents who work together to create a nurturing, supportive environment where our students can shine - academically, socially, and emotionally.
Funds to support all PTO-sponsored programs and purchases are generated through our One Community Campaign and parent-coordinated fundraisers.
Working closely with Principal Linda Creighton, Laurel’s PTO-supported programs are identified to help support key school programs and activities. These include:
CURRICULUM & CLASSROOM ENRICHMENT
- Academic enrichment, including assemblies, bus transportation and fees for field trips, instructional materials, and computer-learning subscriptions
- Literacy promotion through the support of library programs, book fair events, library book needs, and Pop! Pop! Read-A-Thon! fundraising event
- Science programs, such as the STEAM Fair
- Arts promotion through the music program, art supplies, Art in Action, and Annual Laurel Art Show
- Teacher/Parent coordination and support through our Head Room Parents
- Classroom supplies and teacher resources
- Lunchtime programs, including Riekes sports supervision
- After-School Programs coordination
- Student safety and welfare through disaster safety, hot lunch coordination, Life Skills support, Lost & Found services, and Walk & Bike Week and safety information
- School pictures and yearbook coordination
- Staff support and appreciation
- Family events – Fall Family Picnic, Grade Level Sing, and Week of the Family
- Parent community hospitality
- Caring & Sharing support
- Spirit Wear coordination
- Kinder and new family welcome
COMMUNICATIONS: Weekly newsletter, blue folders, campus communication, Laurel website, and district directory delivery for each family
How can I donate or contribute my time and resources? Whom do I need to contact?
Anyone interested in donating time or assistance in a classroom, on campus, or with community-building programs can volunteer during school hours and/or after school. Click here for more information.
In classrooms, volunteering may include providing food and/or supplies for classroom parties, assisting students, helping with class projects, assisting the teachers in many ways, or helping with reading, in art class, or in the library. Each classroom has a volunteer Head Room Parent(s) (HRP) who helps coordinate all volunteer activities. To become an HRP, please contact HRP@laurelpto.org.
Interested parents can contact the student’s teacher, Head Room Parent (HRP), PTO President at email@example.com, and/or the PTO Committee Chair. In addition, attend the Back-to-School Coffee, watch for announcements, read the newsletter, and review the website for other requests for help throughout the year.
When are the meetings and how can I get involved?
Click here to view Laurel's PTO meeting dates. You can get involved by simply calling or emailing any of the board members or committee chairs. Whatever time you have available, we will be able to find something that interests you and fits your schedule.
Why should I get involved?
Each school’s PTO's success is based on the strength of its volunteers. Parents are welcome in the school and their support and assistance are sought in a variety of ways. When parents volunteer, both families and schools reap benefits that come in few other ways. Getting involved at any level is also a great way for parents to get to know other parents and staff.
How much time do I need to commit?
As much or as little as you are able. Laurel PTO consists of parents who work full-time inside and outside of the home. Some folks commit significant amounts of time to fundraising or other committee work while others get involved for a few hours on a discreet project, such as collecting and counting Box Tops for your child’s classroom. Any amount of time you can give is welcome and appreciated! Click here to find ways to volunteer that fit in with your schedule.
What are the PTO fundraisers for?
The PTO raises money each year to provide vital and valuable programs and support services for students at our school. For example, funds are provided to the library and to teachers for classroom supplies, instructional materials and computer learning subscriptions that may be used to enrich the regular curriculum. The majority of PTO funds are raised in the Fall during the One Community Campaign, but it does not cover all the funding areas. Additional fundraising events are necessary and include the Book Fair and Pop! Pop! Read-A-Thon!.
Who decides how PTO money will be spent?
The annual budget is proposed by the PTO Board and approved by the PTO general membership. Discussions take place at the scheduled PTO meetings. General membership votes on the budget at the Fall General Meeting. Please come and share your ideas about what the money should be doing for our school.