Students are currently engaged in a nonfiction unit The main objectives of this nonfiction unit are:
- paying attention to and analyzing expository text organization:problem/solution, compare & contrast, cause & effect, and chronological order
- identifying main ideas and supporting details
- summarizing what they have learned
- analyzing parts of a text in relation to the whole
- looking at nonfiction books that have hybrid text structures
- cross text synthesis
Reader's Workshop homework for this unit is to read at least 20 minutes Monday-Thursday nights. They do not have to read nonfiction for their home reading, but they can if they want to. I recommend home reading books be on or close to your child's reading level. Research shows children need to read 20-30 books on their independent reading level before they can move to the next reading level.