Students are currently engaged in a fiction unit titled: Author Study: Reading Like a Fan. Our in class read alouds will be from Kate DiCamillo who we read in our first unit. They are also reading their own independent fiction books from our classroom library, from our school library and/or from home. The main objectives of this fiction unit are:
- to pay attention to the kinds of characters and settings an author creates and themes they explore.
- to compare characters across several books by that author.
- notice what the settings tell you about the author and what their books are really about.
- to consider if multiple books by this author have are similar parts.
- to consider what structural patterns exist across the texts.
Reader's Workshop homework for this unit is: read 20 minutes Monday-Thursday nights and log on their reading log. They may read a book of choice as close to their reading level as possible or read their author study fiction book from school. Research shows children need to read 20-30 books on their independent reading level before they can move to the next reading level. Keeping track of how much they have read reinforces this and helps them see how much work they are putting in to becoming a better reader!