IN WRITER'S WORKSHOP WE ARE LEARNING HOW TO WRITE ........
OPINION and PERSUASIVE ESSAYS! At the end of this unit, students will have published one opinion piece of writing and one persuasive piece of writing!
During this unit, students will learn how to:
- use an essay frame to structure their writing
- use elaboration prompts to grow insightful ideas
- develop thesis statements
- develop different reasons to support their thesis
- gather a variety of evidence to support their opinions
- use a variety of writing genres, including narrative to support their thesis
- develop cohesion through logically sequenced information and the use of transition words
- try out multiple leads and conclusions before deciding which one works best for their essay
- use the opinion writing checklist to self assess their writing and set goals for revision
- use a convincing tone through the vocabulary they use in their writing