A Teacher on Special Assignment (TOSA) is committed to teacher leadership and the development of others to positively impact student achievement. TOSAs provide targeted professional learning, support site or district planning, and work directly with individual and teams of teachers, using the California Standards for the Teaching Profession as their framework. MPCSD is fortunate to have strong TOSAs that can support our teachers. Please reach out to Lela Ward for ELA/SS, Alicia Payton-Miyazaki for Math/SCI, and Theresa Fox for Ed Tech should you need a content expert as a thought partner.
Here are the ways that our amazing TOSAs can best support you and your school!
- Serve as the district’s “go-to” resource on all curriculum and adoptions grades K-8, including intervention programs.
- Support the development and implementation of all district-wide benchmarks and universal assessments.
- Manage, develop, and facilitate content specific professional development/trainings in partnership with site principals and district.
- Develop and communicate long- and short-term department plans and goals, and evaluation of these goals.
- Assist teachers in maintaining a classroom environment conducive to learning and optimal student achievement, particularly as it relates to the TOSA’s content expertise.
- Explore new and highly effective teaching and learning strategies, methodologies, and assessments, especially as they relate to their content of focus; support teachers, site administrators, and instructional aides through coaching to improve current practices and instructional methods of delivering Common Core State Standards.
- Collaborate with teachers to use data to inform instruction and to increase academic achievement.
- Regularly visit K-8 classrooms during instruction to provide coaching support, share meaningful feedback, and engage in empathy.
- Guide collaborative planning between and among grade level teams, Professional Learning Communities, and academic departments, ensuring vertical and horizontal coherence and quality.