What does our committee do?
- The Spelling Bee committee is responsible for administering the written spelling bee to 3-5th graders the end of November, and then the oral spelling bee the beginning of January.
What types of responsibilities do our volunteers have?
- Signing up Encinal on the Scripps National Spelling Bee.
- Work with newsletter committee to announce the bee, the finalists, and the winner.
- Navigate spellingbee.com, create a written bee study guide for the children, and the packets of information and words for teachers to administer the written bee.
- Grade the written tests and select the top 13-15 students, coordinate with teachers and parents to announce and get the children the study materials for the oral bee.
- Work with administration to coordinate logistics for the oral spelling bee, get teacher judges, etc. Get the words ready for the oral bee, inform judges of requirements, order prizes, get photographer.
- Participate during the oral bee as an assistant, recording, judging and making sure things run smoothly.
When do we need you?
- November and January
How much time commitment is involved?
- 5-10 hours depending on size of committee
Any special skills required?
- Computer skills, organization
INTERESTED IN JOINING THIS COMMITTEE?
Please refer to the PTO Committees table to contact the committee chair.