What does our committee do?
- Work with Encinal staff to promote and enhance pedestrian, bicycle, and car safety on and near campus.
- Represent Encinal within the citywide Parents for Safe Routes organization.
What types of responsibilities do our volunteers have?
- Planning how the school will encourage activities such as International Walk to School Day & Bike, Walk, and Roll Week.
- Monitoring the traffic situation around Encinal and bringing concerns and ideas to school/district administrators.
- Helping the school implement a pedestrian and bicycle safety curriculum. This work is beginning with grades 3–5 in spring 2018.
When do we need you?
- All school year, especially Fall and Spring, when the most people are biking and walking.
- 1X per month for citywide Parents for Safe Routes meeting (share ideas among campus representatives & hear updates from city of Menlo Park.
How much time commitment is involved?
- ~3 hours per quarter, depending on events or activities planned
- 5 hours/month to attend the Parents for Safe Routes meetings
Any special skills required?
- Know or learn the laws and best practices around pedestrian and bicycle safety
- Be proactive about brining issues to the Encinal/MPCSD administration or city of MP/town of Atherton’s attention.
INTERESTED IN JOINING THIS COMMITTEE?
Please refer to the PTO Committees table to contact the committee chair.