Applying for the Early Learning Center 2019-20
Children with birthdates between September 1, 2014-December 1, 2016 are eligible to attend during the 2019-20 school year.
Once your child has been accepted into the Early Learning Center and you have confirmed the space with a deposit, you will need to complete the MPCSD online enrollment process and submit all required forms indicated below by July 1.
This deposit holds your child’s spot and will be credited towards the last month’s tuition. If the family needs to relinquish the child’s space before the school year begins, the deposit will be returned as follows: 50% before July 15th. There will be no refunds after July 15th.
Please note that all items are required of new students and only some are required of returning students (those who attended to ELC in 2018-19), as indicated below.
All new and returning ELC students must complete "Enrollment for New Students for 2019-20" on the MPCSD online enrollment portal. Do not fill out this form if you have not yet been offered a space at the ELC.
In addition to online registration, the items on the ELC Enrollment Forms Checklist must be returned to the ELC by email, mail or in-person by July 1st.
- Signed 2019-20 Admission Agreement (New and Returning Students)
- Signed 2019-20 Family Handbook (New and Returning Students)
- LIC 613A Personal Rights (New Students)
- LIC 627 - Consent for Medical Treatment (New Students)
- LIC 700- Identification and Emergency Information (New and Returning Students)
- LIC 701 - Physician's Report (New Students)
- LIC 702- Preadmission Health History (New Students)
- LIC 995 - Notification of Parent's Rights (New Students)
- Sunscreen Permission Form (New Students)
- Check for one month's tuition made out to Menlo Park City School District to be applied to your child's last month at the ELC (New and Returning Students)
How did MPCSD conduct the ELC Lottery for 2019/20?
The ELC pre-registration application was posted online at mpcsd.org on November 1, 2018. The priority window closed on February 15, 2019.
Applicants were ranked based on the following priorities:
- Current ELC students and their siblings
- MPCSD residents and children eligible for the Tinsley Voluntary Transfer Program who qualify for an Early Learning Center scholarship
- MPCSD Staff
- Community - Children who live outside of the MPCSD boundaries
- Children whose families applied after February 15, 2019 on a first come, first served basis
On the day of the lottery, children’s names were randomly drawn and assigned a lottery number. Each child was placed in a classroom type (e.g. Laurel Full-Day, Laurel Part-Day or Oak Knoll) in order of the lottery number selected. If the child’s first choice was no longer available, they were given their second choice and if the second choice was not available, they were given the next available opening.
In the process of conducting the lottery, staff discovered that there was not enough demand for a half-day option at Oak Knoll or a 2 or 3 day a week option at Laurel and those options were eliminated. Children who had requested those options were assigned to their second choice and then if that was not available, the next available opening.
Families who were selected in this first round of the lottery were sent a letter on March 4th, asking for commitment by March 8th to the space they were offered and/or the option to request another space if one opens up.
After the first round of recipients is confirmed on March 8th, ELC will begin contacting families on the waitlist, in order of their lottery number, to offer them the available spaces.
If you have been notified that your child is on the waiting list, please fill out and submit the form sent to you to indicate that you want to maintain your child's spot on the waiting list.