Resources in Spanish During Social Distancing
Menlo Park City School District
World Language and Spanish Immersion: Spanish Resources During Social Distancing
This is a list of possible resources to support and maintain Spanish learning while social distancing. There are many other possibilities. Reach out to your child’s teacher for more suggestions specific to your child.
- Change the language of a favorite movie to Spanish-(listening for 10 minutes will help build vocabulary and develop oral language).
- Take a virtual tour of multicultural exhibits. Culture and language go hand in hand. Check out a new museum.
- Read! Audiobooks are a great way to read the book together.
- Make reading fun:
- Challenge your student by asking him to learn two new words in Spanish per day.
- He/she can have a journal/dictionary to write the word and use it in a sentence. Have your child re-read books at his/her independent level (look at the list of titles provided below).
- Have your child read to a friend, a family member, his dog, etc.
- Practice High-Frequency Words. Have your child make flashcards and practice. Make it fun by giving a reward.
- Listen to bilingual music-some suggested musicians: José-Luís Orozco, Sol y Canto, 123 Andres, Putamayo, Lucky Diaz and the Family Jam Band.
- Listen to common nursery rhymes in Spanish. https://spanishmama.com/favorite-nursery-rhymes-in-spanish/
- Playdates (with social distancing)native Spanish speaking children in the neighborhood or from the classroom.
- Take an online adult Spanish class and learn along with your child.
- Gus on the Go! Spanish
- Freefall Spelling Spanish
- Lee Paso a Paso - Learn to Read Spanish Step by Step
- Cuentos para dormir
- Mango Languages-free from the public library
- Raz Kids (use current student password)
- Dreambox (math) (use current student password)
- News in Slow Spanish
- V-Me Cocina (cooking shows in Spanish) http://www.vmetv.com/shows/cocina-con-vme
- Spanish Publications
- Khan Academy
Summer Programs (offering 2020 Summer programs with COVID measures) :
- Living Spanish http://learnika.com/living-spanish/