Oak Knoll's Learner Profile
Oak Knoll's Learner Profile is an extension to further define our school mission, Every Student an Exemplary Scholar, a Valued Friend, and a Courageous Citizen. The Learner Profile was developed by Oak Knoll teachers during the 2019-2020 school year in conjunction with the Teaching Tolerance standards. Today, we see evidence of our Learner Profile being developed in our students, used by our teachers, and alive in our classrooms. Click below to see just a few examples of our learner profile from early this year.
Our Learner Profile
Critical Thinking: Newsletter Feature 10/16/2020
I can solve complex problems.
- Ask on topic questions to understand problems
- Seek and consider different perspectives on an issue
- Judge the credibility of sources
- Assess different solutions and explain my own
- Apply thinking skills across domains or in new situations
Creativity - Newsletter Feature 11/6/2020
I can use my imagination and come up with many ideas and solutions.
- Ask questions about the world around me
- Generate multiple solutions and strategies
- Improve ideas by testing, collecting feedback
Growth Mindset - Newsletter Feature 9/7/2020
I believe I will learn more and grow with hard work.
- Believe that practice, feedback, and revision can improve learning
- Willing to make mistakes and bounce back after
- Persist when things are challenging, less enjoyable
- Can identify emotions when faced with challenges or new situations and ID strategies to keep going
- Seek opportunities for challenge and improvement
Self-Reflection - Newsletter Feature 9/11/2020
I know myself.
- Identify and communicate emotions and have strategies to work through challenging emotions
- Identify my strengths and interests so I can build from them
- Identify areas of growth and identify resources and strategies to help me grow as a learner
- Know family history, culture, and group identities that I am a part of
- Understand and explain my impact on others
Compassion - Newsletter Feature 11/13/2020
I care about and care for others.
- Actively listen
- Build relationships with peers and adults
- Have emotion vocabulary and know what it looks like in others
- Have empathy and ask respectful questions to understand others’ perspectives
- Take action to help others
Collaboration- Newsletter Feature 9/18/2020
We work together to make great things happen.
- Set collective goals/norms with a group
- Deliver on my responsibilities to a group
- Respect other opinions even when different from my own
- Resolve conflicts in a group
- Seek out and work with people who are different than me
Agency - Newsletter Feature 1/8/2021
My voice matters.
- Share ideas and opinions
- Speak up for myself and others, even when it's hard
- Intervene when others are being hurtful.
- Explore my own passions and interests
- Make intentional choices to advance my learning
Resourceful - Newsletter Feature 10/9/2020
I can find the support I need to achieve my goals
- Find and ask for the resources I need
- Seek help from others
- Identify the right environment for me to succeed
Civic Engagement - Newsletter Feature 12/4/2020
I can make my community a better, more inclusive, place.
- Help and support others
- Operate with a shared responsibility to the community
- Identify and speak up when seeing examples of injustice and prejudice
- Identify and pursue opportunities to make a positive impact in school, community, and the world