Transitional Kindergarten (TK) is the first year of a two-year kindergarten program required to be provided by all California public school districts serving elementary-aged students. Beginning in fall of 2022, Menlo Park City School District will pilot a TK offering in line with the state’s requirement under Senate Bill 130.
TK provides early childhood education as a transition between preschool and kindergarten. TK is not required for students, but is available to students who meet the age requirements. TK does not replicate preschool or kindergarten; rather, it addresses a child’s language, literacy, and pre-math skills with an emphasis on social and emotional development. The program blends preschool and readiness standards for kindergarten with a focus on hands-on, experiential learning, and play. Research shows that taking the time for readiness for school can predict success later in the formative years of elementary and secondary education.
In accordance with state guidelines, MPCSD will phase in students who turn five (5) according to the dates listed below over the next five years.
Hours and Schedule
MPCSD will offer a half-day Transitional Kindergarten program during the pilot phase-in. TK will follow the MPCSD district instructional calendar. The first day of school for the 2022-23 school year will align with the MPCSD first day of school, August 18th, Thursday. TK will be offered as an AM program.
Below are the program hours:
8:15 am Arrival & TK Start Time
11:15 am Dismissal & TK End Time
Based on the current enrollment demands, MPCSD will be offering TK from a centralized location, Laurel Lower Campus, 95 Edge Rd., Atherton.
Registration For Transitional Kindergarten
Families who would like to enroll their student in MPCSD’s Transitional Kindergarten must meet the following criteria.
- Your student must turn 5 between September 2, 2022 and February 2, 2023
- To register: complete the District TK Enrollment Interest Form
- Upon submission of the District TK Enrollment Interest Form, you will receive a follow-up message with a link to formally register your child for MPCSD’s Transitional Kindergarten for the 2022-23 School Year.
Transitional Kindergarten Extended Care Program
MPCSD families needing a “full day” experience in order to participate in Transitional Kindergarten can pay for the fee-based Extended Care program being offered by MCPSD highly regarded by MCPSD Early Learning Center.
TK EXTENDED CARE SCHEDULE OPTIONS AND FULL-FEE TUITION
Early Care from 7:45-8:15 will be made available by MPCSD at no cost at the Laurel Campus.
Tuition will be charged 10 months of the year August-May (no June payment)
20% discount for MPCSD staff and 10% discount for 2nd concurrently enrolled child.
Tuition assistance will be available based on income and family size and ELC tuition assistance guidelines
The Transitional Kindergarten Extended Care calendar will follow the MPCSD 2022-23 instructional calendar. Newton, Inc. will provide holiday care at an additional cost for students in TK-5th grade at the Laurel campus on the following dates:
Click here for information and to apply for Newton’s programs.
Registration for ELC Transitional Kindergarten Extended Care
Families who wish to enroll in ELC Transitional Kindergarten Extended Care must complete a separate registration process. Your student’s space is not confirmed until you have completed all steps in this process.
- To register: complete the ELC Transitional Kindergarten Extended Care Application
- Look for an email inviting you to Brightwheel and follow the steps to create an account.
- After you have created a Brightwheel account, you will receive an invitation to complete the ELC enrollment process.
- Submit a non-refundable deposit equal to one month’s tuition via Brightwheel (not applicable to students receiving tuition assistance).
- Sign the TK Extended Care Admission Agreement.
- Students applying for tuition assistance will be asked to submit additional documents.