PTO President's Message
Dear Laurel Families,
Welcome back to all, new Kinder parents and seasoned parents! We are your new PTO (Parent Teacher Organization) Co-Presidents for the 2017/2018 school year, and thrilled to be helping serve the Laurel community to ensure cohesiveness between the two campuses, provide clear communications on school events and needs, and bring parents and children together to have fun and make new friends. Kathy is the mom of Colin, 4th Grade and Michael, 5th Grade. Katie is the mom of Reagan, Kinder and Lucas, 1st grade. Supporting us, we have a dynamic PTO Board this year who is already working hard to bring you exciting kick-off events over the next few weeks.
The main goal of your PTO this year is to help parents, administrators, teachers and staff alike, make this year go as smoothly as possible. If we all stay focused, and work together, the end result will be incredible. To accomplish this, we feel strongly that less is more, so since the information you need to make your Back-to-School transition (and in fact your entire year) successful has already been sent, we just want to make certain you know where to find it:
- Laurel School Website - Check it out here. We encourage you to spend some time navigating the site, it's your go to for all things Laurel including:
- The Laurel School Newsletter - This is our main means of communicating with our families on a regular basis. You will get reminders about upcoming campus events, community news, and updates about the Menlo Park Atherton Education Foundation (MPAEF). If you have not already signed up, you can do it here.
- MPAEF (Menlo Park Atherton Education Foundation) - What is the difference between the MPAEF and the PTO? Why should I give to both? Great questions, to which you will receive more complete answers over the following weeks. For now, just know that the PTO funds curriculum enrichment, field trips, community building events, and well-supplied classrooms. The MPAEF funds additional best-in-class teachers, credentialed specialists, design-thinking curriculum and technology, and dedicated counselors. The PTO and the MPAEF are two vital organizations that work hand-in-hand with the MPCSD (school district). With Laurel's expansion this past year, your donations to both organizations are more important than ever. So please, consider joining early as you get ready for the start of the school year. To learn more about joining the Laurel PTO, click here. To learn more about donating to the MPAEF, click here.
- Additionally, do not neglect the MPCSD (Menlo Park City School District). There, you will find district-wide news, the district-wide school calendar, transportation options, and suggestions on safe routes to school. Click here to learn more.
Finally, do not forget to note these upcoming Important Dates and Events:
- Class Lists posted - TODAY August 21, 4:00 pm, School Office
- Kinder Teacher Meet and Greet - August 23, 8:30 am to 9:00 am, your child's classroom
- Back-to-School Coffee - August 24, 8:30 am to 10:00 am, in the Arbor at both Campuses
We hope that you found this information useful. If you have questions, please feel free to contact us directly any time throughout the school year, and talk to other parents. It is always helpful to get the perspective of others around you who have gone or are going through the same situation.
Wishing everyone a smooth Back-to-School and a great school year.
Kathy Orciuoli & Katie Rottier
Co-PTO Presidents 2017-2018