PTO President's Message
Dear Laurel Families,
A hearty Squirrel welcome to all, new Kinder parents and seasoned parents alike! We are your new Laurel PTO (Laurel Parent Teacher Organization) Co-Presidents for the 2018/2019 school year, and thrilled to be serving the Laurel community. We aspire to help make Laurel the Best Place to Spend your Childhood and our goals are to continue to tighten the bond between our two campuses, to provide clear communications on school events, listen to your needs and to bring parents and children together for fun and new friends. Azadeh is the veteran of the two and is the mom of Zak, 3rd grade and Lily, 2nd grade, both in Spanish immersion. Ben is the dad of Sadie and Rilka, both 2nd grade. In addition to us, we have a dynamic PTO Board, comprising volunteer parents like you, that is already working hard to bring you exciting kick-off events over the next few weeks.
The main goal of your PTO is to support parents, administrators, teachers and staff alike by enhancing community, ensuring communication and coordinating the unique events, like Pop! Pop! Read a Lot! and STEAM Fair, that make Laurel such a special place. Visit the Laurel PTO website for more information.
To help ensure the transition back to school goes smoothly and that you know where to find important information about the year, please check out:
- Laurel School Website - Check it out here. We encourage you to spend some time navigating the site, it's your go-to for all things Laurel including:
- The Laurel School Newsletter - This is our main means of communicating with our families on a regular basis. You will get reminders about upcoming campus events and community news. Sign up for the newsletter here.
- One Community. Investing Together. Every year, the PTO partners with the Menlo Park Atherton Education Foundation (MPAEF) to raise funds that make critical educational programs possible. The MPAEF allows the district to fund teachers in art, science, music, and library as well as a dedicated counselor at Laurel. While the PTO funds curriculum enrichment such as STEAM (Science Fair) and Art in Action, family events such as the Fall Family Picnic, field trips, and well-supplied classrooms. It’s never too early to invest in your child’s education! Donate today to the MPAEF and PTO. To learn more, click here.
- Menlo Park City School District Website - There, you will find district-wide news, the district-wide school calendar, transportation options, and suggestions on safe routes to school. Click here to learn more.
Finally, please note these upcoming Important Dates and Events:
- Class Lists posted - August 20, 4:00 pm, School Office at both campuses
- Kinder Teacher Meet and Greet - August 22, 8:30 am to 9:00 am, your child's classroom
- Back-to-School Coffee - August 23, 8:00 am to 9:30 am, in the Arbor at both campuses
We are so excited for another year with our community! If you have questions, please feel free to contact us directly, any time throughout the school year, and talk to other parents. Your feedback, ideas, contributions, time and volunteerism make Laurel truly the Best Place to Spend Your Childhood!
Wishing everyone a smooth Back-to-School and a great school year.
Azadeh Rasmussen & Ben Wang
Co-PTO Presidents 2018-2019