High School Transition
Sequoia Union High School District Info & Open Enrollment
For all students who plan on enrolling in Sequoia Union High School District (SUHSD), your "home school" is the one which your student will attend based on where he or she lives. For almost all of our students, that home school is Menlo-Atherton High School. Some families, however, wish to consider placement in one of the other schools in SUHSD: Woodside, Sequoia, or Carlmont. SUHSD Information for incoming 9th graders can be found HERE.
To determine your home school, go to the Sequoia Union High School District website and complete the BOUNDARY SEARCH. This will show you what your home school is. You may also call the SUHSD district office at 650.369.1411 x22209.
If you wish for your child to attend a school other than the assigned home school, you will need to complete an "Open Enrollment Transfer Application." Go to the SUHSD website for more information. If you want help completing the application, you may visit the SUHSD office at 408 James Ave., Redwood City.
Menlo-Atherton High School
On the M-A web site, you can obtain a wealth of information for incoming 9th graders in their "Get To Know M-A" section. You can learn about Campus tours, 8th Grade Information night, M-A Preview Days, M-A Shadowing, and much more.
Shadow appointments and campus tours can be done on-line here.
M-A 8th Grade Information Night
Come learn more about our academic program offerings and graduation requirements on Wednesday, October 18, 2017. Our Information Night includes a Principal’s welcome, small-group tours led by students and PTA parent volunteers, and presentations by M-A teachers from core subject areas. Prospective students and parents are welcome. The program runs from 6:00-8:30 p.m. No reservation is necessary.
M-A Open House
Date: Thursday, March 22, 2018
Time: 6:30 - 8:00 p.m
Open House allows current and potential students to take a self-guided tour of campus and meet teachers in their classrooms, highlighting elective courses and providing a school-wide view of M-A. Families can also attend the family resource fair in the PAC café where they can receive information about registration, address verification, summer programs and much more.
To help ensure that your student's applications are complete and the process runs smoothly for everyone involved, there are a number of actions Hillview will require your student to complete NO LATER THAN December 1. This will enable us to give thoughtful consideration to your student’s packet.
1. Follow the guidelines provided on the Hillview Private School Application and Shadow Check List.
2. Fill out and return to the Hillview Office the Student Information Form. This form helps us to track what schools you are applying and provides important information for those writing a recommendation for your student. Every student must complete and return this form to the office.
3. Fill out, sign, and return to the Hillview office the Parent Authorization For Release of Records and Recommendations provided to you by the private school. The Hillview office requires one for each school you are applying or the master Ravenna form with the schools circled if applying on-line. This form authorizes Hillview to release your student's educational records and recommendations. Records will not be released with out it.
3. Ravenna: On-line registration. When applying on-line using the Ravenna application process, please make sure in the Current School section of your Student's Profile that you have selected Hillview Middle School from their database this gives Hillview ability to send confidential information. You will know you have been successful when you see a green check displayed next to the school name and the button is green as well. If these are not green, we will not see your chosen schools and will be unable to upload your student's records.
4. Deadline for all documentation and requests for recommendations is DECEMBER 1, 2017. Any materials or requests received after that date will be processed on an as available basis and after all applications turned in on time are completed. Having this deadline ensures that we are able to give thoughtful consideration to your child's packet and all pieces get to the private schools on time. Your adherence to this deadline is greatly appreciated.
Where Do They Go?
Most Hillview students go to our awesome local public high school, Menlo-Atherton, but a certain percentage attend local private schools. Curious about their destinations? In 2017, we tracked where they went and present this information to you for your edification.