Important Dates for Spanish Immersion:
Incoming Kindergarten Spanish Immersion Mandatory Parent Meetings are required times and dates will be announced soon for the 2018-2019 school year.
The 2017-2018 school year marks the tenth year of the district's Spanish Immersion program. The program at Encinal includes two classes in kindergarten and one class per grade from first to fifth grades. Students who go on to Hillview Middle School can choose to continue in the Spanish for Spanish Speakers elective program.
The goal of the Spanish Immersion Program is to create bilingual and biliterate students by the end of fifth grade. Children enter the program with many different levels of Spanish fluency. Some children are native Spanish speakers, others have had exposure to Spanish in preschool or with a parent or nanny, and many have had very little or no exposure to Spanish when they begin the program. The native Spanish speakers benefit from learning to read and write in Spanish, deepening their Spanish speaking skills and being class leaders as they help their fellow classmates learn Spanish. The non-native Spanish speakers benefit from becoming fluent in Spanish at the same time as receiving all of the standard curriculum of Encinal School. In fact, by the end of fifth grade, the goal is that immersion students will be performing at grade level in both languages.Announcements
Happy Birthday SongDo you know how to sing Happy Birthday in Spanish? Use the same "Happy Birthday" tune you already know, but practice these words so you won't be left humming along when your child breaks out into song!
Te deseamos a ti,
Qué los cumplas en tu día,
Qué los cumplas feliz.Information for ParentsLinks for Students & Parents
- Alphabet: Press the keys to hear each letter, see a picture of a word that starts with that letter and the word pronounced......Presione las teclas para escuchar cada letra, ver una foto de una palabra que empieza por esa letra y la palabra pronunciada.
- Literacy Center Education Network: Spanish literacy and math skills. Interactive and progressive......Alfabetización en español y matemáticas. Interactivo y progresivo.
- MPSI Parent Resource: The website for Menlo Park Immersion parents - created by parents! Learn about summer camps, resources, stay in contact with other parents...check it out!
- National Library of Virtual Manipulatives: The text along the top changes if you need it in another language......El texto a lo largo de los cambios arriba si lo necesita en otro idioma.
- PBS Kids - en Español! PBS Kids offers some of their content in Spanish!.....PBS Kids ofrece algunos de sus contenidos en español!
- Scholastic: Scholastic offers an interactive reading experience. Look for Clifford and an Activities section for dedicated Spanish games......Scholastic ofrece una experiencia de lectura interactiva. Busque Clifford y una sección de actividades dedicadas a los juegos en español.
- Spanish Alphabet: Lists examples of how to pronounce the letters on their own and in both Spanish and English words......Muestra ejemplos de cómo pronunciar las letras por su cuenta y en palabras de Español e Inglés.
- StoryPlace: Online, interactive reading!.....Lectura online, interactivo!
- Vocabulary Flashcards: Flashcards and lists from a wide variety of groups of words (e.g., animals, places, foods, etc)......Relámpagos y las listas de una gran variedad de grupos de palabras (por ejemplo, animales, lugares, comidas, etc.)