Encinal School is committed to the safety of our students. In an effort to provide this, we need to review emergency preparedness procedures with families. It is important for you to know that, in the case of a declared emergency, all students will be required to:
- Remain at school or at an alternate safe site under the supervision of District personnel until the regular dismissal time if it is deemed safe to release students at that time,
- OR until released to an adult authorized by the parent or legal guardian whose name appears on District records.
At the beginning of the school year, every family is required to fill out a student release card. Only those listed on the form have authority to pick up your child from school. Please take a moment to review the following with regard to emergency procedures at Encinal School:
- Parents need to know the names of those identified on their children's student release forms.
- Only the parent, guardian or those listed on the student release form can sign out children from the Student Release Station at Encinal before departing from the school property. Picture ID will be required in order for the school to release a students to parent(s) or authorized adult.
- In the case of an emergency, authorized adults must enter Encinal from the Encinal Avenue driveway, not by way of Middlefield Road.
- All students must be signed out. The command station for sign out will be located between the district office and the kindergarten yard.
- Children cannot leave school, on foot or by bike until it is considered safe by the administration.
- There are First Aid and CPR trained teachers and administrators on campus.
- Encinal School is equipped to take care of students with food items and purified drinking water.
- It is best NOT to call the school in the case of an emergency. Listen for Public Safety Announcements on the radio or television (local 1670am or Channel 26).
- Cell phone use is discouraged during an emergency as this will tie up airwaves and make cellular phone use void.
Encinal staff and students practice routine safety drills (fire, earthquake, shelter in place, lock down) throughout the course of the school year. Atherton and Menlo Park Fire and Police assist us by observing and participating in our drills, and provide constant feedback.
For more information please see the weblinks below: