Request for Independent Study
In the event that a student can not attend class, or school, due to travel, or quarantine reasons, the Menlo Park City School District offers an Independent Study Plan option.
Per Board Policy, 10 SCHOOL DAYS (TWO WEEKS) is the MAXIMUM amount of time for students to be on Independent Study for an entire school year. With the unique situation of the pandemic and COVID-19, we are extending that maximum amount as needed and for special circumstances.If students do NOT submit completed Independent Study work, their Independent Study will be marked INCOMPLETE and the absences will be considered UNEXCUSED.
To request your child to go on Independent Study, please follow the steps below:
1. Notify the school staff that your child will go on Independent Study. (Ideally, give at least a week's notice.) Please email your child's teacher, Kati Bacsa (Laurel Attendance Clerk) and Ellen Kraska (Assistant Principal) to inform them of the need for Independent Study.
2. Submit attendance on Safe Arrival School Messenger and indicate Independent Study for the days on ISP. Kati Bacsa will have seen the ISP information and be able to adjust the absences for longer than 2 days.
3. Complete the form below for EACH CHILD.
4. Have your child complete the coursework.
5. Submit completed coursework to the teacher (via email or hardcopy) upon return to school. The teacher may ask you to provide a photo of the work or some work samples. We need a work sample on file as evidence of the completed ISP for State attendance auditing purposes.
If you have any questions, feel free to reach out.
Thank you kindly,
Ellen Kraska firstname.lastname@example.org